Monday, September 7, 2009

We save the whales, and protect the bald eagle, but who is protecting common sense?

Those folks who know me, in life, know my goal is to buy myself an island. On my island I envision a Jen-topia of sorts. My island has no immigration issues because if you come uninvited...Shark Bait...My island has no draconian laws designed to enslave the masses...I am the masses....I am NOT a part of the Geneva Conventions so if you attack me....you will be dealt with. The thing that drives my need for Jenland is the way the world has lost it's common sense...
I have learned that life is really simple, we make it difficult.

So here are some quick lessons in common sense, this important if you want an entry visa to Jenland.

  1. Lesson 1 - Everything you get in life is at the expense of someone else: This rule is important in understanding common sense. For example; say I am hired by ABC co. I got the job out of 1000 applicants. Thats a job opportunity I took from 999 other people (some of which may have needed it more). The pay I receive is paid for, ultimately, by the consumers of ABC Co's products (which is part of the reason they cost so much). I buy a house, that is 1 less house available for everyone else looking. I buy the only purple car at a car lot, I just took it from the next person who wanted a purple car.
  2. Lesson 2 – Life is full of challenges and triumphs: We have good times and we have bad times, thats just how it is. When did it become the norm to expect a perfect life? This is not a fairy tale people. In loosing common sense we have lost the ability to think logically. We are on a mission for the perfect body, the perfect children, and the perfect mate, yet put no thought into the hidden costs of how we attain it. We watch tragedy on TV knowing “that could never be me”. We want a world where everyone has a home, food, and the world in harmony. We want to drive our SUV's but we don't want to drill for the oil.
  3. Lesson 3 – A person will always look out for their own best interests: This is the biggest duh to me. If my son is hungry (say he hasn't eaten in a week) and you are hungry (say you haven't eaten in two weeks) and we both came to the last known piece of bread ...What would you do?...Most folks will say they would split the piece in half. Those people are liars. I would take the whole piece for my son, no question. Sure I would feel bad for you, I know you are hungry. But is my son and thats who I am worried about. Sure we can split it but that just means nobody will have enough. If I get it for my son, he then has a whole piece of bread to help him get to his next meal.
  4. Lesson 4 – Honesty is NEVER a bad thing/No is not a bad word: When did telling people the truth become equated with being mean. I have a friend who always says Yes to whatever anyone asks her to do. The catch, however, is she will not tell you she has no intention of doing it. When the time for her to perform comes, she merely calls the person with a made-up excuse as to why she couldn't make it. When you ask her why she does this she states I didn't want to hurt their feelings by saying no in the beginning. She is the Norm people. Lets say I meet a man who asks to take me on a date. So I am honest and tell him No I am not interested...Now I'm rude, a bitch, or even a lesbian. The same folks saying that about me may never know or care that he had beer on his breath at 9am, but how dare I not accept this invitation. Those who know me know I hold no cut cards. If you ask me a question, I will tell you the truth and I expect nothing less then the same. The people I am closest to in my life are those who love me enough to be honest with me even if, I don't WANT to hear it.

    This concludes your first four lessons in Common Sense 101

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I love hearing from folks.